Vishal S. Vaidya is an Assistant Professor of Medicine and Environmental Health at Harvard Medical School and Harvard School of Public Health. Vishal leads the Systems Toxicology Program within the Harvard Program in Therapeutic Sciences.
Vishal directs the laboratory of kidney toxicology and regeneration in the renal division of Brigham and Women's Hospital with a research emphasis on discovery and evaluation of biomarkers for early detection of kidney injury and investigating the molecular mechanisms of kidney tissue repair. He has authored more than 50 papers including original research articles, reviews and book chapters with more than 3000 citations and an h-index of 31. Vishal is an ad hoc reviewer for several scientific journals, has served as a guest editor for the journal “Toxicology” and primary editor for the book "Biomarkers in Medicine, Drug Discovery and Environmental Health". Vishal received the Pathway to Independence grant from the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) in 2007. In 2011, Vishal was awarded the Outstanding New Environmental Scientist Award by NIH-NIEHS and in 2013 Vishal was one of the six North-American scientists to receive the Innovaton in Regulatory Sciences Award from Burroughs Wellcome Fund.
Vishal acquired his Ph.D. degree from University of Louisiana in 2003 and completed his fellowship in nephrology from Brigham and Women’s Hospital in 2007. He was awarded the Novartis Graduate Student Fellowship award from Society of Toxicology and the National Kidney Foundation grant for his work during the graduate and postdoctoral training respectively. Vishal is also an Associate Faculty at the Harvard University’s Center for Environment and an Affiliate Member of Harvard Stem Cell Institute, member of Society of Toxicology, American Society of Nephrology and Harvard School of Public Health’s NIEHS center.
Education and Training
- Poona College of Pharmacy, Pune, India, BS Pharmacy, 1994-1998.
- University of Louisiana at Monroe, LA, Ph.D. Toxicology, 1998-2003.
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Postdoctoral training, Nephrology, 2003-2005.
- 07/2005 - 09/2009: Instructor in Medicine, Harvard Medical School
- 10/2009 - present: Assistant Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School
- 07/2011 - present: Assistant Professor of Environmental Health, Harvard School of Public Health
Hospital or Affiliated Institution Appointments
- 11/2006 - present: Associate Biologist, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women's Hospital
- 10/2009 - present: Member, Harvard NIEHS Center, Harvard School of Public Health
- 10/2011 - present: Associate Faculty, Center for Environment, Harvard University
- 10/2012 - present: Affiliate Member, Harvard Stem Cell Institute, Harvard University
- 07/2013 - present: Leader, Systems Toxicology Program, Harvard Program in Therapeutic Sciences, Harvard Medical School
- 1999: Arthur Furst Award for Student Best Paper, American College of Toxicology.
- 2001 to 2002: Society of Toxicology Graduate Student Fellowship Award sponsored by Novartis.
- 2001: Sigma Xi Grants-in-aid research award ($900).
- 2001: Graduate Student Research Achievement award, The University of Louisiana at Monroe.
- 2002: Best Paper Award (2nd place) from Division of Toxicology, American Society of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (ASPET), Experimental Biology.
- 2002: Comparative and Veterinary Specialty Section award for best manuscript submitted, Society of Toxicology.
- 2003: Mechanisms Specialty Section's Honorable Mention award for the best manuscript submitted, Society of Toxicology.
- 2003: National Kidney Foundation Post Doctoral Fellowship Award.
- 2005: Risk Assessment Specialty Section best abstract award, Society of Toxicology.
- 2007: Guest Editor, Toxicology, special issue “Biomarkers of Toxicity”, 245 (3), 163-224, 2008.
- 2011: Outstanding New Environmental Scientist Award, NIH/NIEHS.
- 2012: American Scientist of Indian Origin Young Investigator Award, Society of Toxicology.
- 2013: Innovation in Regulatory Science Award, Burroughs Wellcome Fund.
- 1999 - present: Member, Society of Toxicology.
- 2006-2009: Career resource and development committee, Society of Toxicology
- 2010-2012: Councilor, Northeast Chapter of Society of Toxicology
- 2011-2014: Member, Continuing Education Committee, Society of Toxicology
- 2005 - present: Member, American Society of Nephrology.